HOW TO REGISTER A TRADE MARK
For more information on ARIPO Trade Mark Registrations click here.
1. The requirements for applications filed directly in Ghana are as follows:
- Full name, street address and description of the applicant (including trading style, if any, and state/ country of incorporation, if incorporated).
- List of goods and/ or services.
- A simply signed power of attorney.
- Clear print of the mark.
- If priority is claimed: Certified copy of home application/ registration with Portuguese translation.
- The 45 classes of the International Classification are followed.
- Multi-class - Yes
- Duration: 10 years from filing date and renewal for further periods of 10 years.
- Assignments of applications are permitted.
HOW TO REGISTER A PATENT OR DESIGN
In our experience, it is better to file an ARIPO regional application designating at least São Tomé and Principe rather than a national application directly in São Tomé and Principe. The main reason for our opinion is that ARIPO is run by WIPO and, accordingly, operates much more efficiently than the São Tomé and Principe Patent and Design Offices. Furthermore, the cost of filing an ARIPO application designating only São Tomé and Principe is about the same as the cost of filing a national application directly in São Tomé and Principe. A further benefit of the ARIPO route is that it is possible to designate other ARIPO member countries by paying additional designation fees at a relatively nominal surcharge.
For more information on ARIPO Patent Registrations click here.
For more information on ARIPO Design Registrations click here.