HOW TO REGISTER A TRADE MARK
For more information on ARIPO Trade Mark Registrations click here.
1. The requirements for applications filed directly in Ghana are as follows:
- Full name, street address and description of the applicant (including trading style, if any, and state/country of incorporation, if incorporated).
- List of goods and/ or services.
- A simply signed power of attorney - we notarise on our side.
- Clear print of the device mark.
- As of 15th March 2017, the 11th Edition of the Nice Classification is followed.
- Multi-class: No.
- Duration: 10 years from filing date and renewal for further periods of 10 years (even if priority is claimed, the date is still calculated from application date).
- Use: Compulsory. A declaration of intent to use must be filed every 5 years after application date.
- Licenses: Are permitted.
- Assignments of applications are permitted.
- Searches available within approximately 2-3 weeks from instruction and are conducted on an official register.
HOW TO REGISTER A PATENT OR DESIGN
In our experience, it is better to file an ARIPO regional application designating at least Mozambique rather than a national application directly in Mozambique. The main reason for our opinion is that ARIPO is run by WIPO and, accordingly, operates much more efficiently than the Mozambique Patent and Design Offices. Furthermore, the cost of filing an ARIPO application designating only Mozambique is about the same as the cost of filing a national application directly in Mozambique. A further benefit of the ARIPO route is that it is possible to designate other ARIPO member countries by paying additional designation fees at a relatively nominal surcharge.
For more information on ARIPO Patent Registrations click here.
For more information on ARIPO Design Registrations click here.